Re: 2 postgresql processes on the same machine ?

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Jean-Guillaume LALANNE <jeanguillaume(dot)lalanne(at)capgemini(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2 postgresql processes on the same machine ?
Date: 2004-07-22 13:09:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 14:02, Jean-Guillaume LALANNE wrote:
> I'd like to know if it is possible to run 2
> postgresql processes with 2 separate databases on the
> same machine (change of the ports, different paths to
> logs, ...)?

Certainly.

Each running postmaster needs a different port and a different database
cluster directory ($PGDATA); as you suggest, a separate log file would
also be a good idea.

If they are running under separate usernames, you need to make sure that
they both have permission to write in the socket directory, or else have
different socket directories.

Oliver Elphick