Re: code coverage patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michelle Caisse <Michelle(dot)Caisse(at)sun(dot)com>
Subject: Re: code coverage patch
Date: 2008-08-28 15:09:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> We're pretty much assuming bison anyway, no? It's been years since
>> I heard of anyone successfully building the backend grammar with plain
>> yacc.

> In my recollection, you were the last holdout on that with the
> occasional HP-UX yacc test. But I seem to recall that that combination
> actually no longer worked the last time.

I don't think I've tried that in this century ;-). Between the sheer
size of the grammar and the fact that we're already depending on the
behavior of several arcane %-options, I really doubt any tool besides
bison will work. Besides, the whole point of shipping the built files
in tarballs is to ensure no one has to use any other tool.