questions about install postgresql on Window

From: Chuanrong Zhang <czhang(at)uwm(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: questions about install postgresql on Window
Date: 2004-07-14 17:58:38
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Dear pgsql-cygwin,

I try to install postgresql on Window. According to the instructions you put on
the website for " How to install PostgreSQL on Windows", I download and run the
Cygwin on my Windows 2000. After start "ipc-daemon2", I try to use the initdb
command to create a new database cluster (I su to postgres user to do this).

initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

But I failed. The following are the feedback:

$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "czhang".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
10
selecting default shared_buffers... Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1... Signal 12

initdb: failed

*****************************

I try to use "make MAX_CONNECTIONS=5 check" command, but I got the following
feedback:

"make: *** No rule to make target `check'. Stop."

How can I do to install PostgreSQL on my windows 2000? The version of PostgreSQL
I installed is "7.4.3-1"

I am looking forward to your reply!

Thank you very much!

Chuanrong