Re: About inheritance

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Diogo Biazus <diogob(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgresql Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About inheritance
Date: 2004-06-30 03:51:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> I hope not -- I think the underlying infrastructure could become the
> basis of table partitioning. I have a project going on right now in
> which we're porting ~700GB of data (forecast to become multi-TB over the
> next year or so) from partitioned vendor-O tables to inherited Postgres
> tables.

Tell me how that works out. I have a few tables with more than 100M
records in them but only the last 5M (by time -- so it's well clustered)
or so are in active use.

Looked at inheritance, but it seems to do a select against the structure
anyway. Using partial indexes with a common datastore seems to work much
better, until VACUUM runs...

--
Rod Taylor <rbt [at] rbt [dot] ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/signature.asc