Re: log_collector doesn't respond to reloads

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: log_collector doesn't respond to reloads
Date: 2012-04-28 01:35:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> You can end up in a situation where the logs aren't going where they're
> supposed to due to some external problem, and that the DBA has no way to
> find out what went wrong because he doesn't know where the logs are *now*.

Well, if nothing else, lsof would help.  Another possibility is that we
might change the logging collector process to show its current target
filename in ps status (although might there be security/privacy issues
with that?).  Neither of those things will help Windows users
of course, but the sorts of cases you're presenting aren't going to be
happening on Windows boxes.

[ thinks some more... ]  A lower-tech solution would be to always write
the name of the current log target file into some small text file in
$PGDATA.

On the whole though, I think this is an invented problem.  We've never
heard a complaint from the field about it.