Re: Official Freeze Date for 7.5: July 1st, 2004

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Official Freeze Date for 7.5: July 1st, 2004
Date: 2004-06-01 20:08:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 18:26, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >> I welcome this, as I always thought June 1 was too soon. However, I
> >> think that the process by which the date was eventually arrived at
> >> was unfortunate.
> >>
> >> I would modestly suggest that there should be a minimum period of
> >> notice of a feature freeze - 6 weeks or 2 months seems about right to
> >> me, given the
> >

> > Oh, you mean the original freeze date that was set at the start of the
> > dev cycle 6 months ago?
> >

> I am far from being the only person to whom this was less than clear. I
> also know that when I discussed this with one or two members of the core
> team *they* were not clear about it either.
>
> Maybe I missed something in an email somewhere ...

The June 1st date was first mentioned on list in mid-March (to me), but
wasn't generally announced until May under a specific heading. If it was
set in January, I was never knowingly party to that info.

Major-architectural changes notwithstanding, xlog archiving was
originally completed in late April, having started in Feb.

A published schedule might have helped all of us to understand the
impact of an extra weeks discussion etc..

Personally, I feel I had good notice, but that doesn't mean it was
possible for me to finish by that time...

Best Regards, Simon Riggs