Re: Porting SQL Server 2000 database to PostgreSQL

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Rod Early <REarly(at)jswcoinc(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Porting SQL Server 2000 database to PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-05-21 20:55:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 02:49, anony wrote:
> 3. inside the function single quotes must be escaped because your
> function is entered in as a string literal.

be aware that your editor might quote these for you (at least some of
the admin apps do, not sure about PgAdminIII though)

> 4. to return recordsets you must create a custom return TYPE and use a
> FOR loop with %ROWTYPE to interate thru the data.

this isn't always true... see
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/SetReturningFunctions

And while you're there check out the section on the main page about
converting from other databases, there are a couple on $ql server. Also
take notes on your conversion and submit your own article when your done
:-)

Robert Treat