Re: "IDENT authentication failed" but I'm not using ident

From: Nico De Ranter <nico(at)sonycom(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: postgres-list <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "IDENT authentication failed" but I'm not using ident
Date: 2004-05-19 06:54:54
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 02:19, Tom Lane wrote:
> Nico De Ranter <nico(at)sonycom(dot)com> writes:
> > \connect: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "nico"
>
> > I changed /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf so it only contains
> >   local    all     all   trust=20
> > and restarted postgres but I still get the same error message.
> > Any idea why the import complains about IDENT authentication when=20
> > I'm not even using it and how to get around it?
>
> If you're getting that message then you *are* using IDENT auth.
> My bet is that you changed the wrong config file.  /etc/postgresql
> is not a very standard name for a Postgres data directory ...

Yep, figured that out in the mean time. /etc/postgresql is the standard
location on Debian but this seems to have changed with the latest
upgrade on Debian/Sarge.

> > BTW: is there a way to create a database and then change ownership
> > to somebody else?
>
> No, but you can do it in one step.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/sql-createdatabase.html

Damn, should read man-page, should read man-page, should read man-page!

Thanks!

Nico

> 			regards, tom lane
 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Senior System Administrator
Sony Service Center (NSCE/VPE-B)
The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1
B-1935 Zaventem, Belgium
Telephone: +32 (0)2 706 43 11 Fax: +32 (0)2 700 86 22