"IDENT authentication failed" but I'm not using ident

From: Nico De Ranter <nico(at)sonycom(dot)com>
To: postgres-list <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "IDENT authentication failed" but I'm not using ident
Date: 2004-05-18 12:28:42
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade postgres to 7.4.2. I've dumped the
database on 7.2.1 but when I try to recreate it by doing

  psql -e template1 <db.sql

as user 'postgres', I get

DELETE FROM pg_shadow WHERE usesysid <> (SELECT datdba FROM pg_database
WHERE datname = 'template0');
DELETE 15
CREATE USER "ids" WITH SYSID 103 PASSWORD 'Yil8t8Wq1yFth' NOCREATEDB
NOCREATEUSER;
CREATE USER
CREATE USER "nico" WITH SYSID 32 CREATEDB CREATEUSER;
CREATE USER
[...]
DELETE FROM pg_group;
DELETE 0
\connect: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "nico"

I changed /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf so it only contains

  local    all     all   trust

and restarted postgres but I still get the same error message.
Any idea why the import complains about IDENT authentication when
I'm not even using it and how to get around it?

BTW: is there a way to create a database and then change ownership
to somebody else? (e.g. I want to give a user 1 database to play
with but I don't want to allow him to make any other databases)

Thanks in advance,

Nico

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Senior System Administrator
Sony Service Center (NSCE/VPE-B)
The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1
B-1935 Zaventem, Belgium
Telephone: +32 (0)2 706 43 11 Fax: +32 (0)2 700 86 22

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Craig GibsonDate: 2004-05-18 12:48:30