Re: planner/optimizer question

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: planner/optimizer question
Date: 2004-04-29 19:12:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
> I would be nice to get a feel for how much performance loss would be incurred in
> maintaining the index flags against possible performance gains for getting the data back
> out again.

I guess the real question is, why maintain index flags and not simply
drop the index entry altogether?

A more interesting case would be to have the backend process record
index tuples that it would invalidate (if committed), then on commit
send that list to a garbage collection process.

It's still vacuum -- just the reaction time for it would be much
quicker.