Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding
Date: 2004-04-28 08:31:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

scott.marlowe kirjutas T, 27.04.2004 kell 20:43:

> As someone who has discussed this with Tom in the past, I seem to remember
> that there were major issues with handling the system catalogs, because
> internally, the backends treat the identifiers as if they have already
> been quoted.

why not leave it at that and mandate their *external* doublequoted use ?

not only for system catalogs but also for system columns.

I already have had negative experience with a proprietary tool not being
able to use postgres (over ODBC) because it has a system column called
tmin (or was it tid). If things were case-folded to upper automatically,
there would not have been such problem.

Hannu