Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning
Date: 2004-04-27 22:35:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 23:11, Rod Taylor wrote:

> > > Wouldn't it be sufficient to simply use the transaction ID and ensure
> > > that all the parameters the user might want to use to find that ID can
> > > be made available in the log files?
>
> > Yes, of course, all methods of locating a particular xlog file to stop
> > at are effectively equivalent. The discussion is mostly about what is
> > convenient for the user in a real recovery situation.
>
> I see.. The first thing I would need to do is look at /var/log/pgsql. At
> that point it really doesn't matter what the identifier is so long as
> the identifier is there.

PITR works on the assumption that /var/log/pgsql no longer exists at
all. It is suitable for use in bare-metal recovery situations, as well
as usage-induced situations.

You pick up the pieces, work out what the best identifier is, then plan
on using that.... might not be a pgsql log, it might be:
i) literally wallclock - "power went off about 2"
ii) other systems logs
iii) etc

Best Regards, Simon Riggs