Re: The big MySQL spin

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Peter Galbavy <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowtion(dot)net>
Cc: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>,"'Lamar Owen'" <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The big MySQL spin
Date: 2004-03-11 15:48:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 08:15, Peter Galbavy wrote:
> Claudio Natoli wrote:
> >> Benevolent oligarchy is the term you want.
> >
> > Oligarchic technocracy?
>
> Oligarchic Meritocracy ?

Certainly you've hit an important point in the discussion bringing up
meritocracy. With PostgreSQL, people's ability to shape the
direction/features of PostgreSQL is based on the merits of their work
and/or ideas, and the ascent to positions of control follow the same
path. With something like my$ql, ascent to a position of power is not
given from the community, but must be obtained from the corporation.
my$ql may say they are a republic / representative democracy, but given
that one party controls who all the candidates are there isn't much need
for voting...

Robert Treat