Re: Pl/Java - next step?

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, HORNYAK Laszlo <hornyakl(at)inf(dot)elte(dot)hu>
Subject: Re: Pl/Java - next step?
Date: 2004-02-22 15:46:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas,

What I would like to see is an abstraction of the interface that
communicates with the JVM so that we can use either, as you have pointed
out the JNI mechanism has advantages, as does the remote mechanism.

I recently did an analysis of the two methods and there are a couple of
other points.

1) Using JNI, you probably still want to communicate with another
running java process. For instance lets say that you have an application
which is viewing live inventory. For simplicity sake we will us a swing
client.

Now we have a pl/java trigger function which gets called when the
inventory gets changed, ostensibly the java trigger would want to notify
the client, so it will have to utilize some sort of remote function call
to do this.

So at this point we now have pl/java -> JNI -> JVM/procedure -> remote
call -> JVM running client. This would further be exacerbated, by the
fact that all your connections are going to have to make the same remote
function call.

2) While I haven't done the real work to determine if the following is
true, I'm not willing to buy the argument that the keeping multiple
class loaders is about as expensive as multiple JVM's. My argument is
based on the fact that servlet containers (Tomcat etal) do this without
showing onerous memory footprints.

As far as using a heavyweight RPC mechanism, I have talked to laszlo
about removing CORBA and replacing it with a lightweight custom protocol
much like the FE/BE protocol that the server uses, this seems to be a
better solution, as I agree installing a CORBA environment would be a
huge barrier to entry.

Regarding Transaction Visibility pl-j (remote version) already uses SPI
to do it's calls, and the jdbc layer there would do the same, I'm not
sure how that it matters if it is jni, or remote? Perhaps I am missing
something ?

In the end as we said before, laszlo is interested in collaborating so
hopefully we can find some middle ground here ?

Dave

--
Dave Cramer
519 939 0336