Re: Partitioning feature ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Kedar Potdar <kedar(dot)potdar(at)gmail(dot)com>, Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)asterdata(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Amit Gupta <amit(dot)pc(dot)gupta(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Partitioning feature ...
Date: 2009-03-31 15:40:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Nikhil Sontakke escribi:
>>> As triggers are executed in order of their names, we've prefixed the
>>> trigger names with "zz". This should work fine as long as no-one uses
>>> trigger-name which starts with "zz".

>> this seems a lot fragile...

> We already have system triggers -- the FK triggers. I don't think we've
> had all that much trouble with them.

In the case of the FK triggers, it's intentional (and maybe even
documented) that users should be able to place their own triggers before
or after the FK triggers. Is there a good reason why partitioning
triggers should be different? If there is, maybe the feature shouldn't
be implemented via triggers in the first place.