Re: A dubious claim to fame ...

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A dubious claim to fame ...
Date: 2004-02-19 16:40:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 00:02, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Larry,
>
> > (Don't start on the Legal crap, ok? I don't agree with their legal
> > stuff, but that's not the engineers fault, and that's who I've
> > been working with).
>
> Hey, nobody suggested cutting the port, did they? That's not the way we do
> things.
>
> I just find it amusing that SCO is gratefully accepting our code with one hand
> while the other threatens to sue half the people on our lists. Such sweet
> irony ....
>
> It's not the poor OpenWare users' ... or engineers' ... fault that the Canopy
> Group is riding SCO/Caldera like some demon monkey from the abyss. Shoulda
> killed the lawyers when they had the chance. Hopefully OpenWare will survive
> SCO.
>
> And we can certainly use the publicity.

Not only that, but this is possibly the strongest endorsement we have
been given by any OS vendor to the mainstream tech press. While we run
on all of the major unix OS's, I've don't recall seeing phrases like "..
key features of the service pack are ... that it includes the
object-relational database management system PostgreSQL." used by
anyone else. Even our beloved Red Hat, who does so much for the
project, didn't even bother to include us in their "Advanced Server"
product line when it was released. While we might get annoyed by all of
Larry's posts on -hackers about SCO issues ;-), at least we get some
kind of return on that as a community.

Robert Treat