Re: Differences between postgres and mysql

From: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Differences between postgres and mysql
Date: 2004-02-18 22:19:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 03:50, Mark Cubitt wrote:
> the reason I ask is I have always used postgres at home and work, but my new
> web host only has mysql :(

If you have ssh or other shell access, you can install postgresql as a
user (you may want to check with your ISP first). It will require a
little extra disk space though.

> I want to know what sort of differences I will have in regards to
> programming php/perl webpages using the database.

There are too many issues here to make a brief reply. I'd just look
around for migration tips pg->mysql (although I get a feeling that case
is more rare than mysql->postgres...). In general, don't assume too much
when working with MySQL. MySQL tends to throw fewer errors, so testing
the results will be more important.

Regards,
Jeff