Re: And now for an example of a different style of

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: And now for an example of a different style of
Date: 2004-01-16 22:19:55
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 14:29, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Marc,
> >
> > > cute site ... and another 'fixed width one' ... just curious, but who is
> > > all crying for 'variable width'? I *really* like the consistency a fixed
> > > width site provides, so that no matter what your browser, or screen
> > > resolution, the site will still look the same ...
> >
> > The trick is that a fixed width site needs to be usable at 800x600 resolution,
> > since this is the resolution of 40% of the monitors in American businesses,
> > the last time anyone did stats on it (2000, I think).
>
> Agreed ... that just means the width is fixed at the 800, that's all ...

<sigh> do we have to go over this again... different users have
different monitor sizes. People with big monitors want to be able to
resize their browsers to view multiple windows simultaneously. You can't
assume that everyone's window width is 800 pixels: it's too much for
some users and too little for others. It's not that difficult to make a
stretchy site that looks good at multiple widths, I think php.net is a
classic example of this (though debian, kde, mozilla, ximian are also
good examples).

Robert Treat