Re: TAS definitions on Solaris x86 with GCC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Crozier <crozierm(at)conducivetech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TAS definitions on Solaris x86 with GCC
Date: 2005-09-28 03:14:44
Lists: pgsql-ports

Michael Crozier <crozierm(at)conducivetech(dot)com> writes:
> I'm again looking at tas/spinlock build problems while investigating unusually
> high CPU usage during load testing. My issue was first mentioned here:

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-ports/2005-09/msg00001.php

Hmmm ... you really shouldn't be using the out-of-line tas.s code for
gcc-based builds on any common architecture. I think the problem may be
that the case statement in src/template/solaris is testing for "i?86"
which probably doesn't match your x86_64 host. What value does $host
have for you exactly?

> Version details:
> Postgresql 7.4.8

7.4 is not exactly a spring chicken. I suggest that you experiment with
CVS tip (8.1beta) and document what still needs to be fixed. After we
figure that out, we can discuss whether the changes are reasonable to
back-patch to the 7.4 branch --- but starting a portability
investigation with an old branch is a waste of everybody's time.