problem creating user

From: kandiah ratnavale <ratnavale(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problem creating user
Date: 2004-01-12 08:27:15
Lists: pgsql-admin
VERY, VERY  URGENT!!

Below is a transcript of an attempt to create a user, which I trust
will be self explanatory.

Who do you think I should go to discuss this problem?

Is there a users' group in which I can post this problem for discussion?

Please help me?

-bash-2.05b$ createuser bruce
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) y
CREATE USER
-bash-2.05b$ psql -d movies

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

movies=# /q
movies-# \q
-bash-2.05b$ whoami
postgres
-bash-2.05b$ su - bruce
su: user bruce does not exist
-bash-2.05b$ createuser bruce
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n)
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) y
ERROR:  CREATE USER: user name "bruce" already exists
createuser: creation of user "bruce" failed
-bash-2.05b$ su - bruce
su: user bruce does not exist
-bash-2.05b$ whoami
postgres
-bash-2.05b$

could you please tell me what is wrong here?
how would i change to user bruce?

is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

looking forward to your comments and help,

If you cannot help me, please indicate where else I can go?

ratnavale

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Alexey BobkovDate: 2004-01-12 11:45:16