More on creating data bases for 4 distinct users

From: "G(dot) Walsh" <gwalsh(at)dscdirectionalservices(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: More on creating data bases for 4 distinct users
Date: 2004-01-03 18:25:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

Further to my earlier posting, I have now figured out that I have to
create clusters for each of the users in their own directory structures.
I have done that, and made all files owned by the development user id as
well as identifying that user to postgres.

That takes me to the problem of triggering multiple postmasters at
bootup. I cannot accomplish this in the furnished
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql script which makes explicit mention of the
fact this is not yet provided for.

Is anyone else doing this?

My reasons for doing so are twofold:

One, I want to spread the activity in an array of fast SCSI hard drives
and

Two, I need to be able to easily extricate each of the sites
individually as the time comes for each to be transferred from the
development machine to a co-location machine.

Could I, for example, add the additional postmaster requests to the
existing .opt file in postgres' default directory?

Thanks for any pointers ...

"George"

--
G. Walsh,