Re: Fix overflow of bgwriter's request queue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Fix overflow of bgwriter's request queue
Date: 2006-01-19 23:45:38
Lists: pgsql-patches

ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Attached is a revised patch. It became very simple, but I worry that
> one magic number (BUFFERS_PER_ABSORB) is still left.

Have you checked that this version of the patch fixes the problem you
saw originally? Does the problem come back if you change
BUFFERS_PER_ABSORB to too large a value? If you can identify a
threshold where the problem reappears in your test case, that would help
us choose the right value to use.

I suspect it'd probably be sufficient to absorb requests every few times
through the fsync loop, too, if you want to experiment with that.