Re: 'like' refuses to use an index???

From: "Keith C(dot) Perry" <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>
To: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Dima Tkach <dmitry(at)openratings(dot)com>,PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 'like' refuses to use an index???
Date: 2003-12-30 22:17:12
Lists: pgsql-general
Quoting Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>:

> > You didn't initdb in C locale ...
>
> The documentation section on localization could use some enhancements
> and maybe some more examples.
>
> The 'c' locale isn't very well defined in the docs, except to say that it
> is 'special' and is the default if no other locale is defined.  That
> section doesn't mention that you need that locale to get 'like' to
> use an index, for example.
>
> However, I think RH always sets the LANG environmental variable, so
> that's going to be picked up by initdb, which means that the C locale
> will NOT be used unless specifically asked for.  Other OS packages may
> also force the choice of a default LANG value.
>
> Dumb question of the hour:  How does one find out what locale a
> DB is initialized in?
> --
> Mike Nolan

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

According to the doc its the pg_controldata utility but when I run it, I get an
error:

"could not open file "-D/global/pg_control" for reading: No such file or directory"

I wonder if that is because I didn't use a locale when I initialized the
database. (My locale -a return "C")

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications