Re: TOAST (was: BLOB)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: Philippe Gobin <philippe(dot)gobin(at)fth(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TOAST (was: BLOB)
Date: 2000-04-20 05:45:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> To share some info with the other developers:
> I just successfully stored the entire PG sources (~10M) in
> one table. Stored are all 936 .[chyl] files.

Cool! Sounds like you are making great progress.

> Anyway, TOAST is on it's way. And as soon as we go for 7.1,
> I'll need alot of help to make all our existing types
> toastable, add administrative utility commands and teach
> pg_dump to deal with all that.

Question: pg_dump shouldn't need to know about toasted tuples as
such, should it? I'm guessing that what you are thinking of is
adding administration capabilities to control whether particular
columns are toast-able, and then pg_dump would need to know about
saving and loading those control fields. But toasting a particular
field value ought to be invisible to applications...