Re: TOAST (was: BLOB)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: Philippe Gobin <philippe(dot)gobin(at)fth(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TOAST (was: BLOB)
Date: 2000-04-20 05:45:30
Lists: pgsql-sql
wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>     To share some info with the other developers:
>     I  just  successfully  stored the entire PG sources (~10M) in
>     one table.  Stored are all 936  .[chyl]  files.

Cool!  Sounds like you are making great progress.

>     Anyway, TOAST is on it's way. And as soon as we go  for  7.1,
>     I'll  need  alot  of  help  to  make  all  our existing types
>     toastable, add  administrative  utility  commands  and  teach
>     pg_dump to deal with all that.

Question: pg_dump shouldn't need to know about toasted tuples as
such, should it?  I'm guessing that what you are thinking of is
adding administration capabilities to control whether particular
columns are toast-able, and then pg_dump would need to know about
saving and loading those control fields.  But toasting a particular
field value ought to be invisible to applications...