Re: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON 2004

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON 2004
Date: 2003-12-19 18:41:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 21:52, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Greg,
>
> > The call for participation has been issued for the 2004 O'Reilly
> > Open Source convention, and once again, PostgreSQL has a track:
>
> Hmmmm ... I think we're double-tracking here -- O'Reilly e-mailed me
> seperately today.   Just one of us should be the contact point.
>
> Also, Jillian, are you up for helping to organize this?
>
> I really do think that we, as a community, should try to organize who's going
> to propose what in order to have a "complete track" for PostgreSQL this time,
> rather than just encouraging people to apply willy-nilly.

Here are ideas for possible presentations that either people have
mentioned to me or I have been kicking around:

Introduction to PostgreSQL - a brief run down on features,
set-up/administration, where to get help and information, where to find
add-on software,

PostgreSQL on Windows -  Showcase postgresql native windows (hopefully),
explain how the different tools work, cover ODBC information.

From LRU to ARC -  explain the changes involved in the switch and the
reasoning behind it.

Full Text Indexing with tsearch2 -  explain how it all works

Optimizing PostgreSQL queries - explain output of explain commands and
what too look for in them. Also go over logging options that can help

PostgreSQL Advanced Tools and Tricks - examples of using complex
functions / data types / operators,  using rules to make updateable
views, using triggers to make materialized views.

Replication - give a run down of various replication solutions,
including rserv in contrib, and rserve/slony from gborg.  Potentially
highlight commercial offerings.

PostGIS - explain what it is, how you use it, how it's handy.

DataWarehousing with PostgreSQL - Cover improvements in 7.4 for this,
also some items in contrib.

PostgreSQL war stories - A good example is the .org registry, but it's
been done, so showcase another "enterprise level" setup, or perhaps a
migration from Oracle/DB2/m$

Anyone care to add to the list, or claim one of these?

Robert Treat