Re: pgAdmin3 1.12.2 won't start on WinXP

From: Bexley Hall <bexley401(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 1.12.2 won't start on WinXP
Date: 2011-01-31 20:03:14
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Dave,

--- On Mon, 1/31/11, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> Bexley Hall <bexley401(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Invoking the 1.12.2 version resulted in a dialog complaining
> > "This application has failed to start because the application
> > configuration is incorrect..."
>
> It sounds like you don't have the correct version of the MSVC++
> runtimes installed - which is odd, as they're included in the pgAdmin
> installer. Try reinstalling them:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf

I searched the "post pgAdmin3" machine image for "mfc90.dll"
and didn't find it anywhere. Presumably, 1.10.5 did *not*
require this runtime?

Installing the above URL resulted in a copy of mfc90.dll
turning up under Windows\WinSxS...

And, not surprisingly, pgAdmin3 1.12.2 now starts correctly.

Are you *sure* the pgAdmin installer is configured to install it?
(I don't have the tools with me to examine the .msi itself)

Also, the above URL indicates a *newer* version of the runtime
is available ("SP1"). Should that, instead, be installed?

Thanks for your help! Let me know if there is anything else I
can capture from the install process to assist you in chasing this
down (hmmm... I should turn on the installer's logging and take
a peek at that)

--don