Re: Reducing duplicated business rules

From: Ryan Mahoney <ryan(at)flowlabs(dot)com>
To: Tom Hebbron <news_user(at)hebbron(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reducing duplicated business rules
Date: 2003-11-24 19:08:44
Lists: pgsql-php

We have done the same thing that you are doing - but we don't read the
database metadata at all, we just create an xml file when we create the
table that describes the datatype and html display type so we can have
custom types such as email address type, etc.

I thought about doing this the way you have, but ultimately I decided
that depending on the database metadata would be too limited for my
needs.

Attached is an xml file that describes one of our tables. We have a
custom application that automatically build interfaces to add, edit,
list, view, and delete data based on this xml file with validation.

-r

Ryan Mahoney
ryan(at)flowlabs(dot)com
http://www.flowlabs.com (updated)