Re: Call from Info World

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-20 22:07:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 15:46, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,

Here is the article:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/11/20/HNpostgre_1.html

> > Interestingly, in trying to think of a visible open source project that
> > isn't controlled by a company, I couldn't think of one.  Mozilla, PHP,
> > Apache, MySQL, even perhaps Linux have one very visible company that has
> > significant control over the project, while we do not.  Is there a good
> > example someone can think of?
>
> Perl, amanda, Python, OpenACS and LTSP come to mind.

Hmm... I don't see amanda, openacs, or ltsp all that visible to the
greater tech (ie. commercially driven) community, and Perl and Python
aren't really the same; there not a piece of software like postgresql.

> I also get the impression that there's been a significant split between Zend
> Inc. and the larger PHP community lately (over Parrot, mostly, I think), so
> Zend obviously don't "control" the PHP project.

Well... I don't know that I would say they control the project, but it
does seem that php's advances are directly linked to the direction of
Zend. The whole zend engine underscores the point, and I think that a
lot of the OO stuff in php5 was "eagerly desired" by the zend folks.

The truth is that to be a "name" project you need to interface with the
media, and the media is generally best at interfacing with companies.

Robert Treat