Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1
Date: 2007-09-27 16:44:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> * Do we bump the .so major version number for libpq?

> I'm not very familiar with library versioning, but the modern solution
> is to use symbol versioning. In that scheme, a backwards-compatible
> change, like adding new functions, requires a bump of the minor version
> number only. I believe all major modern platforms supports symbol
> versioning.

Yeah, but we are still supporting some not-so-modern platforms.  In any
case, to go this route we would have to figure out how to make symbol
versioning work on *every* supported platform, not only the easy ones.
That might be a good long-term goal but I don't want to buy into making
it happen for 8.3.