Re: Need help with SGML again

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need help with SGML again
Date: 2003-10-15 18:24:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 13:58, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Rod Taylor writes:
>
> > You don't need to switch toolkits to use XML input files as the source.
> > Openjade and friends all support XML with the exception of xincludes
> > (frankly, they're the best part).
>
> But the xincludes part kind of invalidates your point, no? If we just
> switch to XML and keep using OpenJade, then we're not really gaining much,

You didn't read the rest. We do implement and use xincludes in the
source files for the various interfaces to edit with, webbrowser to to
transforms on, etc.

We simply add an xsltproc step prior to OpenJade processing to create a
single document for OpenJade to deal with, rather than forcing OpenJade
to pull parts of documents in via xincludes or system entities.

This will give us the exact same output as prior, but will enable people
such as Josh to edit the docs without panicking (part of the solution is
a recommended toolkit).