Re: xpath processing brain dead

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: xpath processing brain dead
Date: 2009-02-26 05:18:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> For fear of passing an ill formed fragment of xml to the processor, we
> strip the xml declaration if any and surround what's left with '<x>" and
> '</x>' and prepend '/x' to the supposed xpath. This is just horrible.

I seem to recall having complained about that at the time, but I didn't
(and don't) know enough about xpath to do any better.

> This whole thing is a mess, and I suspect the only fix for now is to
> undo all the mangling of both the xml and the xpath expression.

I don't think we should change the behavior if it's just to arrive at
another less-than-desirable behavior. Whacking semantics around afresh
with each release does not endear us to users. If we know how to fix it
right, great; but if we can't then we should keep compatibility with 8.3
until we can.