Re: expanding on syslog help

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: expanding on syslog help
Date: 2003-09-30 20:35:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 01:44, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> * Mention that you might want to turn log_pid and log_timestamp off
> since syslog logs them anyway

i think that debug_pretty_print is somewhat pointless too, as syslog
tends to wrap lines automagically... could be others.

> * Mention something about system log rotator? Or is that too
> platform-specific?

"The simplest production-grade approach to managing log output is to
send it all to syslog and let syslog deal with file rotation. To do
this, set the configurations parameter syslog to 2 (to log to syslog
only) in postgresql.conf. Then you can send a SIGHUP signal to the
syslog daemon whenever you want to force it to start writing a new log
file. "

Perhaps add:
"If you want to automate the log rotation, the logrotate program can be
configured to work with log files from syslog."

at least, on most linux distros (and I'm just guessing others) this is
how they come configured.

Robert Treat