Re: memory leaks? using savepoint

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tatsuhito Kasahara <kasahara(dot)tatsuhito(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: memory leaks? using savepoint
Date: 2010-12-22 02:48:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The proposed patch looks very simple. I don't think that applying that
> patch will cause serious risk.

Maybe so, maybe not, but *it won't get tested* to any meaningful degree
if it's applied.

> Unless the bug is fixed, the users who encountered the memory-leak
> cannot update their postgres to the latest version of 8.3. This would
> cause more serious situation. And, since psqlODBC frequently issues
> SAVEPONT and RELEASE SAVEPOINT, this memory-leak is not rare case,
> I think.

The code's been like that for two years, and nobody's complained before
now, so it doesn't seem to me to be all that urgent.  Furthermore, the
people you are speaking of likely wouldn't upgrade anyway if they
haven't done so before now...