Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, Scott Holmes <scottholmes(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL
Date: 2003-09-19 15:23:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 19:34, scott.marlowe wrote:
> > Meanwhile, if we want to pick a fight we should at least pick one with
> > a database in our own class.
>
> I think MySQL is in our class in some ways, and we're in Oracle's class in
> many ways. What matters is not what class we and they are in, but what
> class we and they are PERCEIVED to be in. And most average users equate
> us as being similar, because they don't know better. Pointing out where
> each database is strong, while making it clear that Postgresql is the
> heavy lifting winner is my approach, and it works quite well.

We can't change the perception of being in mysql's class by always
comparing ourselves to them. I think discussion that is initiated by us
should focus on comparisons to oracle,db2,informix,m$. We only need to
compare ourselves to mysql in response to other questioning us about
them, and when we do try to stick to technical considerations as much as
possible.

Robert Treat