Errors with 7.3.4-2 after upgrade from 7.3.4-1

From: Mike G <godsham(at)speakeasy(dot)net>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Errors with 7.3.4-2 after upgrade from 7.3.4-1
Date: 2003-09-03 05:08:07
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi,

I run win2k sp4 and was running 7.3.4-1 prior to attempting to upgrade
to 7.3.4-2. When upgrading I also upgraded cygipc to 2.01-2 via Cygwin
setup scripts downloaded on the net. Prior to running the installation
scripts I shutdown the postmaster and ipc service via the list of
services menu/screen.

When I tried to restart the postmaster it would start and then stop with
IpcSemaphore errors(function not yet implemented). I don't have the
exact error message anymore sorry.

No matter how many times I reset the password of my postgres account(in
a bash shell) I could not log into the account in a bash shell. I could
log in under the postgres account via the windows login though. I was
not connected to my domain server when I did the upgrade but I wouldn't
think that would make a difference.

So next I tried to create a new database
cluster(/usr/share/postgresql/data2) under a different user account(an
account with local admin privileges but not the actual local admin
account). I received many successful messages but upon trying to create
the template1 database it crashed.

IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600) failed. Function Not
implemented.
initdb failed.sr/share/postgresql/data2
Removing /usr/share/postgresql/data2

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both 7.3.4-2 and cygipc a number of
times. Have also rebooted a number of times.

I also tried starting the postmaster from both my existing service in
the list of services and from the command line. Until I reinstalled
7.3.4-1, in the list of services, I did not receive a message from
windows saying the postgres account was granted logon privileges
whenever I tried to reset the password the service started up with. I
can't say I received any error messages saying that the account was not
granted access rights either.

I didn't see anything else in the announcement email about other
required packages other than cygipc 2.X.

I had upgraded from previous 7.3X versions before without having any
problems.

I have given up and reinstalled 7.3.4-1 which seems to be working ok.

Did I miss a step somewhere?

Mike