Re: [Fwd: [plans] distributed.net .plan update]

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Postgresql Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [plans] distributed.net .plan update]
Date: 2003-08-31 12:51:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 02:14, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Rod Taylor wrote:
>
> > It would appear that distributed.net has made a cutover from Sybase to
> > PostgreSQL in the last 24 hours -- temporarily at least.
>
> temporarily, short term ... but I'm curious as to why "we'll need to do it
> in the near future anyway" ... Sybase licensing, or Sybase not keeping up,
> or ... ?

They intend to make a switch to PostgreSQL permanently, but had not
intended on doing it at this time as not all of their utilities (such as
the website code) have been converted to use it yet.

Sybase was having issues restoring data, and the PostgreSQL testing copy
happened to be more up to date, so they're sliding it in early to see
what happens and will be finishing their code, doing testing, etc. live.

I have no idea why they are planning on moving away from Sybase, but
probably similar reasons as moving away from Linux to FreeBSD; personal
preference.