Re: ALTER TABLE

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE
Date: 2003-08-29 08:22:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rod Taylor kirjutas R, 29.08.2003 kell 03:31:
> I've been fiddling away on ALTER TABLE and have a few questions about a
> possible datatype change. Just alter portions.
>
> I presume I'll need to do a table rewrite. What is the best way to
> change a single datum? heap_modify() takes a single relation type where
> I will need to deal with different types. Simply build a new tuple with
> old datums (easy enough)? Do we care about OIDs being renumbered?

AFAIK alter table change column should do the equivalent of

alter table x add column temp_name newdatatype;
update table x set temp_name=convert(name);
alter table x drop colum name;
alter table x rename column temp_name to name;

This should not renumber OIDS.

> ALTER TABLE test ADD CHECK(col > 4),
> add column bob integer default 2 not null,
> add column bob2 serial check(bob2 <= 255),
> drop column col2 cascade;

or with your combined syntax

alter table x
add column temp_name newdatatype = convert(current_name),
drop column current_name,
rename column temp_name tocurrent_ name;

Hannu