Apparently the real competition is Sybase...

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Apparently the real competition is Sybase...
Date: 2003-08-21 20:51:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Taken from an article discussing recent additions to the osx platform
(http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=877426788&fp=16&fpid=0)

"OS X ships with two open source database managers, MySQL and
PostGresQL. However, for large-scale databases, these free options may
not suffice. To fill that gap, Sybase has ported its enterprise-grade
DBMS, ASE (Adaptive Server Enterprise), to OS X. ASE 12.5 delivers the
full range of capabilities found in Unix and Windows editions of
Sybase's server, including scaling, data protection, graphical
management, and a rich SQL command set. "

To be honest I can't recall ever using it, but I can't imagine sybase
having better scaling, data protection, or better SQL command set than
postgresql. Anyone have the insider knowledge on what makes sybase so
good or can we chalk this one up to the "clueless pundit" factor?

Robert Treat

pgsql-advocacy by date

Next:From: eleinDate: 2003-08-21 21:11:18