Re: New array functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New array functions
Date: 2003-08-28 19:13:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Greg Stark wrote:
>> And how to replace my "arr *= n" calls too.

> See:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/functions-comparisons.html#AEN12154

That reminds me --- contrib/array is definitely obsolete now, and there
may be parts of the other contrib array- and aggregate-related modules
that are obsoleted by Joe's recent work.

I would like to kill contrib/array for 7.4, because it's one of the
GPL'd contrib modules that I was tasked to get rid of some time ago.

What I'm thinking of doing is removing the code, and replacing the
README with a note explaining how to convert contrib/array queries to
use the new mainstream syntaxes. That will give contrib/array users
a clue what they're supposed to do. In a release or three the README
could go away too.

Comments, objections?

Also, does anyone want to look for possible dead code in intagg and
so on?