Re: postgresql.conf

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf
Date: 2003-07-30 18:32:43
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 11:59, scott.marlowe wrote:
> I'm looking at doing the example postgresql.conf files for the 7.4
> release. So far, the catagories we have would be a matrix of:
>
> -------------- Large Machine -- Small Machine
> Webserver
> OLAP
> OLTP
> Workstation
>
> But likely only one entry for workstation.

How about "General Purpose", for DBs that don't fit into any one
category?

> anyone have any advice on what they use in which situations and what we
> should include in the examples?
>
> I'm guessing OLTP needs things like FSM cranked up,
> OLAP (a for analytical) needs more shared buffers and sort memory
> Webserver might be better served just slightly higher values than default
> but well under those of either OLTP or OLAP...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |