Re: Tuning PostgreSQL

From: Will LaShell <will(at)lashell(dot)net>
To: Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tuning PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-07-29 16:16:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 08:14, Vivek Khera wrote:

> GS> "scott.marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> writes:
>
> GS> But you have to actually test your setup in practice to see if it
> GS> hurts. A big data warehousing system will be faster under RAID5
> GS> than under RAID1+0 because of the extra disks in the
> GS> stripeset. The more disks in the stripeset the more bandwidth you
> GS> get.
>
> Anyone have ideas on 14 spindles? I just ordered a disk subsystem
> with 14 high speed (U320 15kRPM) SCSI disks to hook up with a dell
> PERC3/DC controller (only 128MB cache, though).
<SNIP>

Hey one comment on this. With dell Perc3/DC you should check the
megaraid-devel list to find the best BIOS settings for maximum
performance. There have been many comments on it and trials to get it
going really well. All told though I totally love the LSI Megaraid (
which is what the perc3/dc is ) controllers. We use the Elite 1650 with
seagate cheetah drives for a nice little array.

--Will