Re: Tuning PostgreSQL

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tuning PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-07-22 09:52:56
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 04:33, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> Hi Alexander ,
>
> On 21 Jul 2003 at 11:23, Alexander Priem wrote:
[snip]
> > I use ext3 filesystem, which probably is not the best performer, is it?
>
> No. You also need to check ext2, reiser and XFS. There is no agreement between
> users as in what works best. You need to benchmark and decide.

According to Jeremy Allison of SAMBA, ""They used ext3, which is one
of the slowest filesystems on Linux," Allison said. "In a real
comparative test, you would use XFS".
http://www.linuxworld.com/story/32673.htm

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |