Re: Adding headers to the bottom of a table

From: Arguile <arguile(at)lucentstudios(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding headers to the bottom of a table
Date: 2003-07-01 18:16:48
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 08:49, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:52:21 +0200,
>   Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> > Robert Treat writes:
> >
> > > That was kind of my wondering, since upon further reflection I think I'd
> > > might want to see the "labels" every 20 rows or something. This is
> > > really handy with html versions, but I don't know about other formats.
> >
> > On a paged medium (e.g., paper), a new header is already added on every
> > new page, so this problem seems to be specific to HTML.  Take a look at
> > the stylesheets if you like, but table processing is very hairy.
>
> I think there is a way to make the body of the table scrollable
> while the headers stay in place using a stylesheet.

There is but cross-browser compatability is horrid. Mozilla handles it
okay, some properly ignore it if they don't know how to handle it, but
the various version of IE are pretty buggy with it.

Using the various (non-JS) tricks to hide CSS from the various browsers
can make it workable. The overall effect isn't the greatest though.

If anyone wants to see a sample of such scrolling I'll provide one soon
as I can resolve the developer.postgresql.org site again ;).