Re: Trumpeting 7.4 ... or not?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trumpeting 7.4 ... or not?
Date: 2003-06-19 16:35:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 11:53, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For those of you who don'f follow the HACKERS list, I have some very
> dissapointing news. It looks like none of the following features will make
> it into 7.4:
> Point In Time Recovery
> Windows Port
> Nested Transactions

hey don't forget no replication...

> By my reading, that leaves us without a single "sexy" feature in 7.4 that we
> can sell to the press. Not to say that there aren't a lot of *great*
> features in 7.4 -- I personally know of 4 projects that are waiting for 7.4
> to convert to PostgreSQL -- but they are all features that are difficult, if
> not impossible, to explain to anyone who isn't a DBA or programmer.
>
> Further, we've made a point of saying "Windows in 7.4" and now it looks like
> Windows will be coming somewhat later ... probably 7.5 in October.
>
> As such, I propose that we *not* do any press splash for 7.4. Lets put it on
> the web sites, but not make any other fuss about it. Thoughts?

A major release is a major release, and i think it should be touted as
such. 7.3 didn't have any "sexy" features (Schemas and Table Funcs were
about the top) and yet it still got it's due. The key is to point out
what good things are coming for folks and to manage any unhappiness with
what did not make it in.

That said, lets wait till feature freeze so we can get a list of changes
from -hackers before we debate the issue.

Robert Treat