PL/Python import _sre module error

From: Glenn R Williams <gloonie(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PL/Python import _sre module error
Date: 2003-06-16 20:34:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi All,

Does anyone else have a problem with importing the re package
I am using:

Redhat 9.0
PostgreSQL 7.3.3
Python 2.2.2.26

When I create a function:

import re
o = args[0]
b = re.match(r"^t.*",o)
if b:
return "fits the bill"
return "failed the test"

PostgreSQL fails, and returns the error message:

exceptions.ImportError: No module named _sre

If I go into python, this is not a problem, so I suppose it is somehow
due to the restricted execution environment and/or PostgreSQL. But
that's as far as I get.

Any suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem? Surely someone else is
using re (sre), since the other modules (pcre, pre) don't handle
unicode.

TIA

Glenn

Glenn R Williams
Software for the International Community
Mathematical theories are the part of science you could continue to do
if you woke up tomorrow and discovered the universe was gone.