Re: postgres on a beowulf? (AMD)opteron?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: gry(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres on a beowulf? (AMD)opteron?
Date: 2003-05-20 08:29:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

george young kirjutas E, 19.05.2003 kell 20:28:
> Has anyone run postgres on a beowulf system?

I don't think that postgresql will easyly port to beowulf clusters.

> I'm shopping for a new server. One candidate would be a
> quad opteron (64-bit AMD "hammer") machine. Another approach might
> be a beowulf of single or dual opterons. I imagine the beowulf
> would be a bit cheaper, and much more expandable, but what about
> the shared memory used by the postgres backends? I gather that
> postgres uses shared memory to coordinate (locks?) between backends?
>
> I have a smallish DB (pgdump|bzip2 -> 10MB), with ~45 users logged in
> using local X(python/gtk) postgres client apps.

Why do you want such a monster machine for this smallish DB ?

Are there any special performance requirements you are not telling us
about ?

> Will the much slower shared memory access between beowulf nodes be
> a performance bottleneck?

I guess that it will not run at all ;(

Hannu