Re: News factor article

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Jason Hihn <jhihn(at)paytimepayroll(dot)com>, Pgsql-Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: News factor article
Date: 2003-05-09 13:21:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 22:59, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2003, Jason Hihn wrote:
>
> > Mentions MySQL, but states PostgreSQL is the most mature.
> > http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21460.html
>
> Hmm.. not a very good article but.

Your not the first I've heard mention that, but I didn't think it was
all that bad. It did shed postgresql in a good light after all, and
wasn't just a rehashed press release from "that other open source
database" like some of the articles you find.

What on earth is this 24 month stuff?

> An alternative arrangement is the Berkeley Software Development (BSD)
> license, used by PostgreSQL, which gives source code developers a
> proprietary head start of 24 months for their innovations, after which
> they become part of the public code base.

Well, pgsql inc has stated they intend to keep ERServer closed source
for 2 years before giving it back to the community. The wording later in
the article is much better in explaining this arrangement. The wording
above ends up being just plain incorrect.

> Anyone want to send the author a copy of COPYRIGHT?

I sent a "letter to the editor", but couldn't find any way to contact
the author directly. If someone knows how, please lmk and I'll shoot him
an email directly.

Robert Treat