Re: [HACKERS] Are we losing momentum?

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Are we losing momentum?
Date: 2003-04-17 21:25:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

It's out of date and I did not receive any feedback on it (so I assume
it's not very useful), but the patch submitted in late February would
easily allow the described 'translation' to occur.

Schema in backend translates a \<command> <arg> command into an sql
query which is then to be executed. Logic is still in psql, but the
available commands and how data is retrieved from the schema was backend
specific.

I'm using it here due to it's ability to add new psql commands (since
it's just data in a table.)

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-02/msg00216.php

Anyway, might be useful for thoughts. Simply moving the commands into
the backend still leaves us with unsupported new commands in old clients
or new commands in old databases (leaving errors) unless the SHOW ...
syntax itself is handled by the backend.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc