Re: Tech Docs and Consultants

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Lamb <slamb(at)slamb(dot)org>,PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
Date: 2003-04-15 20:21:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 15:32, Josh Berkus wrote:
> And the majority of *database application developers* have no exposure to CVS,
> Emacs, Latex, or similar "Unix geek" utilities.

What about SGML/DocBook? The Linux Documentation Project has tons of
user-contributed documentation written by individuals of varying levels
of technical skill, and they seem to be doing fine with DocBook, and
without a fancy CMS system.

> (BTW, I, like Justin, know how to use CVS but find it arcane and annoying.
> Also CVS isn't the only version control system in the world, nor the easiest
> to use.  May I point out that Linus has stopped using CVS for the kernel?)

<OT>

Linus never used CVS for the kernel. But since his requirements for a
version control system are far in excess of whatever techdocs would
need, I don't really see how it's relevant.

</OT>

I understand the need to settle on the right technology, but before we
get ahead of ourselves, perhaps we can just pick something and be done
with it?

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers,

Neil