Re: Caching (was Re: choosing the right platform)

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: 'Pgsql-Performance' <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Caching (was Re: choosing the right platform)
Date: 2003-04-10 08:17:59
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 20:16, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback, this is very informative.
[snip]
> * Running Linux or *BSD on a 64 bit platform can alleviate some potential
> RAM limitations (if there are truly going to be limitations).  If this is
> so, I've heard suggestions for Itanium, Sparc and RS/6000.  Maybe someone
> can give some more info on these, here are my immediate thoughts: I've heard
> that the industry as a whole has not yet warmed up to Itanium.  I can't
> afford the newest Sparc Servers, so I'd need to settle with a previous
> generation if I went that route, any problems with that?  I know nothing
> about the RS/6000 servers (I did see one once though :-), does linux|*BSD
> run well on them and any suggestions for series/models I should look at?

If you want 64-bit, maybe wait for Operon, or look at Alphas.  You could
probably get a used DS20 or ES40 for a pretty good price, and Linux is
*well* supported on Alpha.  If you want something that really smokes,
and have some buck lying around, try an ES47.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson   |
| "A C program is like a fast dance on a newly waxed dance floor |
|  by people carrying razors."                                   |
|      Waldi Ravens                                              |